Don’t the buns look delicious? I had always thought we can only get fresh hot buns in the restaurants, but we can do it at home too, if we care to try. Bought a Bread cook book years ago for $5.99 from a clearance bookshelf and I have only flipped through it all these years; it looks too hard to try. But we finally did it; good job Hanna! Yummy hot buns from our own oven!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Rest Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Bake Time: 25 mins
- Serves: 12
- 4 cups bread flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 oz fresh yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 1 Tbsp milk, for glazing
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Sift the bread flour and salt together into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar.
- Rub the softened butter into the flour.
- Mix the yeast with 4 Tbsp of lukewarm milk. Stir in the remaining milk. Pour into the flour mixture and mix to form a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let it rise in a warm place for one hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently punch down.
- Divide into 12 equal pieces. Shape into balls and place on the baking sheets.
- Use a sharp knife, cut a cross on top of each roll. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rise, in a warm place for about 20 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brush the rolls with milk and bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden.
- Transfer to bread basket. Enjoy!