I was wondering how I would dress up the Five Spice Roast Chicken for the Christmas dinner. How about a spread of colorful roasted vegetable? The fun part of cooking this dish is to pick out the different vegetables that will make up the color wheel. I love the end result and it easily checks off another item on the menu; it is a wonderful side to complement the roast chicken. Next time, I will try a different assortment of vegetables, perhaps broccoli, cauliflower, yellow and orange bell pepper, yam, purple potatoes, tomatoes, …
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 egg plant, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, stem removed and seeded, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 3 inch pieces
- 1 bunch of french beans, cut into 3 inch pieces
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 6 large crimini mushrooms, halved
- 2 carrots, cut into 1″ chunks
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/3 tsp olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp any other seasoning mix, optional (Mrs. Dash, Montreal Steak Seasoning, ..)
- 1 tbsp minced herbs (I used thyme, rosemary, sage)
- juice of one lime
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F in convection roast mode.
- Whisk marinade in a small bowl.
- Pour marinade over vegetables in a large mixing bowl; toss to make sure the vegetables is well coated with the marinade.
- Spread the vegetables out on a baking tray, leaving spaces between the vegetable pieces, cook in multiple batches if needed.
- Roast in oven for 10 min, shake the baking tray to prevent the vegetables from sticking to the pan.
- Return to the oven and roast for another 10 min, checking in between. I like the vegetables to have a little crunch and not too mushy.
- Sprinkle some more sea salt and ground pepper if desired. Yum!