Mashed potatoes is a must-have for our holiday dinner. It is easy to buy from any store, but given that I have set myself the challenge to prepare a 100% home-cooked holiday dinner, I have to do it myself this time. This is soft, creamy, and smooth when served hot. Make sure to stir in a little more milk, cover, and reheat if you have leftovers.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- 2 lbs russet potatoes
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp bread crumbs
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease the baking dish with 1 Tbsp butter and set aside.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into 1 inch pieces. Boil in a large pot of water until very tender, about 15 mins. Drain and mash potatoes in the pot.
- Mix in milk and butter. Stir in the 3/4 cup mozzarella and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan and breadcrumbs.
- Transfer to greased baking dish and bake until top is golden brown, about 20 mins.
- Serve hot.