Nasi Goreng (Fried Rice), Krupuk (Deep fried prawn crackers), and ‘Fried’ Chicken Wings, its Indonesian for this weekend’s dinner …
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Serves: 4
(A) Indonesian Chicken Wings
- 12 Chicken Wings, separated at joints, tip discarded. Rinsed and pat dry
- Chicken marinade
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger root
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/8 cup honey
- 1/8 cup coconut sugar (gula jawa)
- 1/8 cup sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
(B) Fried Rice
- 16 oz cooked jasmine rice, chilled in refrigerator overnight
- 4 Tbsp shallots (sliced thinly)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 4 bird’s eye red chilli, seeded an chopped
- 1 tsp toasted belacan (blocked shrimp paste, pounded), optional
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon powder
- 2 Tbsp sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- 2 stalks green onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 eggs, scrambleed
- 4 eggs, sunny-side up
- Krupuk (Shrimp Crackers), sliced tomato and cucumber for garnish
To prepare chicken wings:
- Mix ingredients of chicken marinade together in a bowl. Stir well, adjust taste as needed.
- Place chicken wings in a freezer bag and pour chicken marinade over it.
- Seal the bag and marinate chicken overnight in the refrigerator. The the bag over the next morning and leave chicken in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange chicken wings in a shallow baking pan lined with aluminium foil, skin-side down. Bake for 15 mins.
- Turn over and increase temperature to 375 degrees F, bake until juice runs clear and skin is lightly charred.
- Alternatively, arrange the wings in a single layer and cook in an Air Fryer at 350 degree F for 20 mins.
- Keep warm in oven.
To prepare fried rice:
- Scramble 2 eggs with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in wok over medium high heat and fry sliced shallots and minced garlic until fragrant and turned light brown. Add chopped chilli, belacan (shrimp paste) and stir.
- Turn up heat, add rice, and fry until grains are loosened.
- Stir in scrambled egg, salt, pepper, chicken bouillon powder, and sweet soy sauce until well mixed and heated through.
- Add chopped green onions.
- Transfer to serving dish. Top with an egg fried sunny-side up and a dash of white pepper. Garnish with slices of tomatoes and cucumber.
- Serve hot with krupuk and chicken wings.